DARIEN HIGH SCHOOL PARENTS ASSOCIATION BY LAWS
Revised: March 2018
The name of this organization shall be the DARIEN HIGH SCHOOL PARENTS‟ ASSOCIATION (“Parents Association” and/or “DHSPA”).
The purpose of the DHSPA is to meet and study matters of mutual interest and to maintain communications among the parents, school and community.
The DHSPA shall consist of all parents and guardians of current Darien High School students.
1. The DHSPA shall be non-commercial, non-sectarian, and non-partisan. Neither any commercial enterprise nor candidate shall be endorsed by it. Neither the name of the organization nor the names of its officers in their official capacities shall be used in any connection with any commercial concern, any partisan interest or any purpose other than the regular work of the DHSPA.
2. The DHSPA shall not seek to direct the administrative activities of the school nor its policies.
3. The DHSPA shall approve all DHSPA fundraising activities and shall administer and allocate all DHSPA revenues. Accurate and complete records shall be maintained of all receipts and disbursements.
4. The DHSPA is a not-for-profit organization that intends to conform to and operate in accordance with the requirements of the Internal Revenue Code of the United States applicable to tax exempt organizations.
V. DHSPA MEETING AND VOTING REQUIREMENTS
1. The DHSPA will meet regularly during the school year. These meetings will be announced publicly. All parents and guardians of current Darien High School students are invited to attend DHSPA meetings.
2. The Executive Board may call additional DHSPA meetings as necessary.
3. Quorum: A quorum will consist of ten (10) members of the DHSPA.
4. Voting: After quorum has been met, a majority vote of the DHSPA members present at any meeting shall be required for all actions to be taken by the DHSPA. All members of the DHSPA shall be eligible to vote at all DHSPA meetings. Each member of the DHSPA shall have one (1) vote.
VI. EXECUTIVE BOARD
1. The DHSPA will have as the Executive Board the Co-Chairs, Vice Chairs (if any), Communication Chair(s), Secretary, Treasurer(s), College and Career Center (CCC) Chair(s)s, Fundraising Chair(s), Nominating Chair(s), Programs Chair(s), Student Wear Chair(s), Student Life Chair(s) and Fair Chair(s).
2. The immediate past Co-Chairs, if available, shall serve as a member of the Executive Board in a non-voting, advisory role.
3. The Executive Board can vote to appoint others to the Executive Board to meet current DHSPA needs.
4. Quorum: A quorum will consist of seven (7) members of the Executive Board. A „\”superquorum‟ of eleven (11) Executive Board members must be present to vote on Appropriations and budget decisions.
5. Voting: Unless otherwise specified and assuming quorum has been met, a simple majority of Executive Board members present shall be sufficient to decide a vote.
6. E-mail Voting: An e-mail vote of the Executive Board may be initiated either by request of a Co- Chair or by passing a motion to allow e-mail voting for a specific action. The e-mail will state the motion and the vote will be taken over a period of three (3) days to allow the fullest participation of the members of the Executive Board. For purposes of an email vote, the decision will be considered final when all members have voted whether or not the voting period has elapsed or when a majority of the Board has voted for the same available option whether or not the voting period has elapsed. In the event that a majority has not voted after the voting period has elapsed, then, as long as seven (7) members have voted, the decision will reflect the simple majority of those members whose votes have been recorded. E-mail voting on Appropriations and budget items will follow the same procedure as Executive Board e-mail voting outlined above, however, Appropriations and budget items will require a “superquorum” of eleven (11) Executive Board members to vote. The decision will reflect the simple majority of those members whose votes have been recorded. The results of all e-mail votes shall be recorded and announced at the next Executive Board meeting and, if deemed appropriate by the co-chairs, at the next DHSPA meeting.
7. The Executive Board shall meet a minimum of four times per year and may call additional meetings if necessary for review of special agenda items.
8. The Appropriations Committee will consist of all members of the Executive Board and others, as appropriate. The Treasurer of the DHSPA will chair any Appropriations discussions. Any Appropriations account disbursements within an already approved budget that are over five hundred dollars ($500), all financial commitments and/or disbursements on behalf of the DHSPA that are off-budget and over five hundred dollars ($500) and any financial commitments and/or disbursements which require Board of Education approval must be approved by the Executive Board when a “superquorum‟ is present.
9. The DHSPA budget for the current academic year must be approved by the Executive Board at its first meeting of the academic year and by the DHSPA membership at its first meeting of the academic year.
10. The Executive Board has the power to function in lieu of the DHSPA and, if deemed appropriate by the co-chairs, shall report to the DHSPA at its next meeting any actions is taken.
11. If any vacancy shall occur on the Executive Board, the Nominating Committee will recommend a new member to hold office for the unexpired portion of the term. The Executive Board will then vote on the recommendation.
VII. STANDING COMMITTEES
1. The Nominating Committee will maintain a list of current Standing Committees.
2. Standing Committees represent continuing activities of the DHSPA. Such committees shall be created or abolished by the Executive Board as required.
3. Temporary special committees may be designated by the Executive Board from time to time.
VIII. NOMINATING COMMITTEE
The Nominating Committee will consist of the Co-Chairs and, if possible, representatives from each class. The DHSPA Co-Chairs are ex-officio (non-voting) members of this committee.
1. The Nominating Committee will present a proposed slate of new committee members no later than the second to last scheduled DHSPA meeting of the academic year and will post the proposed slate to the DHSPA website. Nominations from the floor will also be accepted. The DHSPA will vote on this slate no later than the last scheduled DHSPA meeting.
2. Newly elected Co-Chairs and committee members shall assume their duties on June 30th.
3. The DHPSA Co-Chairs will serve for a two-year term. There will be a 1st year Co-Chair and a 2nd year Co-Chair working together.
4. A person shall not be eligible to serve more than two consecutive years in the same job on the Executive Board unless no interested party steps forward to take the position.
5. All committee positions are one-year commitments. Each position has a term limit of 2 years unless no other volunteer for that position comes forward.
6. If any vacancy shall occur within any committee, the Nominating Committee will recommend a new member to hold office for the unexpired portion of the term. The Executive Board will then vote on the recommendation.
X. RULES OF ORDER
Robert‟s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern all cases in which they are applicable.
These Bylaws may be amended at any regular or special meeting of the DHSPA by a two-thirds vote of the membership of the DHSPA members present, provided that the proposed amendments have been approved by the Executive Board and notice to members had been submitted at the preceding DHSPA meeting. These Bylaws shall be reviewed at least every three years or as necessary.